Breakin’ Bad – How to Stop Hair Breakage
By Tiffani DouglasIf you’ve been growing your curls out for any length of time, it’s likely that you’ve endured some hair breakage, maybe by your own hand, literally, or by no fault of your own. But if you are experiencing hair breakage and don’t know why, let’s examine three reasons your hair may be breaking and five ways to fix it in order to improve your curly hair care.
3 Reasons Your Hair May Be BreakingPhysical Breakage. Every now and then curly girls want to swap out their kinks for straight, silky tresses. In order to achieve this, you must use a fair amount of heat on your, hair blowing it out and then straightening it. If you heat-style your hair regularly, you could see breakage caused by heat styling tools. Mechanical Breakage. Every curly-haired girl has had to tussle with their hair to get the kinks to behave. Pulling, combing and manipulating your delicate curls to get it just right can cause your hair to break. So be gentle and handle with care when styling and detangling kinky, curly hair. Chemical Breakage. Although chemical processing is rare for natural girls some still have chemically treated hair on the ends as they transition and others get Keratin treatments or use color. Chemical treatments can cause damage and eventual hair breakage, especially if your hair is already brittle or damaged. Chemicals are harsh on delicate, curly hair and should be carefully considered before applying.
5 Ways to Stop Hair BreakageNow that you know what causes hair breakage let’s look at some ways you can stop or prevent it.
- Go deep. To prevent breaking, deep condition your hair at least once per week with Cashmere+Caviar Hair Masque - Deep Conditioner. Deep conditioning will give your hair the extra moisture it needs and prevent it from becoming dry and brittle.
- Detangle with care. If you have curls, you WILL have tangly hair. Your curly hair is already very fragile so use a wide-tooth comb and ensure that you are not pulling or combing your hair out in an effort to detangle it. Apply Cashmere+Caviar Hair Silk- Leave In Conditioner/Detangler to help soften, and ease the frustration of detangling your hair.
- Moisturize…but not too much. It sounds like a broken record, but really moisturizing your hair is the key to keeping it healthy and breakage- free. Conversely, over moisturizing, your hair is also bad as there should be a healthy balance of protein and moisture. To keep hair soft and moisture-balanced, try Blueberry Bliss Reparative Leave-In Conditioner.
- Take care of your scalp. While trying to eliminate hair breakage don’t ignore your scalp. The scalp is the soil from which your hair grows, so if your scalp isn’t healthy your hair won’t be either. Cleanse your scalp at least every two weeks with sulfate-free cleansers like Blueberry Bliss Reparative Hair Wash and between wash days, keep your scalp soothed and refreshed with Blueberry & Mint Scalp Treatment.
- Be mindful of your end game. When growing your hair it is just as important to cut it. Huh? Yes, cut it. Your ends are the oldest and most fragile part of your hair shaft and keeping those ends trimmed is a must so that split ends won't creep up the shaft and damage the healthy hair. Good leave-in conditioners like Blueberry Bliss Reparative Leave-In Conditioner add a layer of protection to your curls to keep split ends at bay.